Adults and Teen Brawl at High School Wrestling Meet
Sporting events have the ability to bring out the competitive nature in most people, and this is fine if they are the actual competitors. However, when spectators allow the excitement and intensity of sports to impair their judgment, leading them to commit criminal acts , they can find themselves in an embarrassing and expensive legal predicament.
Rivalry Seeps into the Bleachers
Police in the southwest suburban city of Joliet were called to a local high school in November regarding a report of a fight in the stands among spectators attending a wrestling match between two local high school teams. Information from the incident seemed to indicate that fans from both teams were arguing when a member of one of the teams attempted to intervene. The following facts were reported:
• A visiting fan became “very vocal” and was confronted by parents of the home team.
• A 17-year-old boy, who is a member of one of the teams, saw his parents involved in the altercation and rushed into the stands to defend them. He is alleged to have subsequently punched a man who was arguing with his parents.
• While police did not identify the parties involved, the man who claimed he was struck volunteered to area press that he was the victim of an “aggravated battery attack.”
• The 17-year-old was arrested by police for his involvement in the incident, and he was subsequently released into the custody of his parents.
• The latest reports indicate that the local state’s attorney’s office with jurisdiction had not yet received a referral for prosecution regarding the matter.
• Because he is only 17 years of age, the alleged perpetrator could be charged as a juvenile, but since the incident occurred at a public school, prosecutors have the option of applying aggravating circumstances to the charges.
• The high school at which the incident occurred is also conducting a follow up investigation to determine if disciplinary measures are warranted against any students.
Retain the Services of a Highly Competent Joliet Criminal Defense Attorney
Nobody expects to run afoul of the law when attending a sporting event, but if you have become involved in a situation involving criminal charges, it is important to have a skilled defense attorney on your side. There is no substitute for knowledgeable experience when it comes to defending yourself against charges of assault, battery, or other crimes. Relying on the professionalism of a resourceful and experienced Will County criminal defense lawyer can ensure you are properly represented during all conversations with law enforcement and in subsequent court proceedings. The Law Offices of Jack L. Zaremba conduct a thorough review of every case in an effort to build and deliver the most aggressive defense strategy possible. Contact us today at 815-740-4025 today to set up a free consultation to discuss your case.