Illinois Weapons and Firearms - FOID
Firearms in Illinois - Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID) Required
Everyone in the State of Illinois, with limited exceptions, must obtain a Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID) prior to purchasing and possessing firearms and or ammunition. This is the starting point for every resident of the State of Illinois.
Am I Eligible for a FOID Card?
• I have not been convicted of any Felony under the laws of this or any other jurisdiction.
• I have not been adjudicated as a mental defective.
• I have not been a patient in a mental institution or any part of a medical facility for the treatment of mental illness within the past 5 years.
• I am not intellectually disabled or developmentally disabled.
• I have not within the past year (preceding the date of this application) used or been addicted to any controlled substance or narcotics in violation of state or federal law.
• I am not subject of an existing Order of Protection or a No Contact/No Stalking Order.
• I have not within the past 5 years been convicted of battery, assault, aggravated assault, violation of an order of protection, or a substantially similar offense in which a firearm was used or possessed.
• I have not been convicted of domestic battery (felony or misdemeanor), aggravated domestic battery or a substantially similar offense.
• I have not been adjudicated by a court as a mental defective or ordered by a court, board or authorized entity to in-patient or out-patient mental health treatment.
• I am not an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States.
• I have not within the past year failed a drug test for a drug for which I did not have a prescription.
• I have not been admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
• I have never renounced my citizenship as a citizen of the United States.
• I have never been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
• I am not a fugitive from justice.
Looking for FAQ pertaining to the FOID Card? See FOID FAQ
If you have applied for your FOID Card and have been denied or your FOID card has been revoked, you have the ability to appeal that decision. See our FOID Card Revocation Denial Page to get more information and to contact us for help.
Checklist For Applying For FOID Card
• A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.
• A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.
• $10.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.
Ready to Apply
Applications to the Illinois State Police for a FOID card are done online at their website. Follow this link if you are ready to apply https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/FOID.aspx
If you have already been charged with a criminal offense for failing to have a FOID card or for Unlawful Use of a Weapon, you need representation. Give us a call at (815) 740-4025 for a free consultation. Calls are answered 24 hours a day. If you prefer, send us an Email.