In today’s digital age, it is easier than ever for a person to get their hands on a fake ID. What once took yourself or a friend “knowing a guy” can now be accomplished by a simple Google search. There are thousands of websites out there run by people claiming that they can make identification cards that are “scannable” and “will not get you caught easily.” Though it may seem easy to just purchase a fake ID off the internet, even just possessing a fake ID in Illinois can get you into a lot of trouble. In some instances, you can even find yourself facing felony charges and extensive fines for charges related to fake IDs.
Penalties for Fake IDs
In the state of Illinois, it is illegal for anyone to assist in obtaining, fraudulently obtain, possess, use, or distribute a fake identification card. Aside from any criminal charges you may face, the state of Illinois can also revoke your driving privileges for a minimum of one year or suspend your driving privileges for a maximum of one year if you violate any of the laws pertaining to fake IDs.
Illinois law states that you can be charged with a Class A misdemeanor for any of the following offenses:
- Allowing a friend to borrow a license or state ID for them to use;
- Using someone else’s ID card or driver’s license and displaying it as your own;
- Possessing a fictitious driver’s license or ID card that contains false information, but was produced by the Illinois Secretary of State or other government office;
- Possessing, transferring or providing any type of identification document to obtain a fake ID card or driver’s license; and
- Altering or attempting to alter a driver’s license or state ID card.
As Class A misdemeanors, these crimes carry a maximum sentence of one year in jail and up to $2,500 in fines. Any subsequent offense for these crimes will be classified as a Class 4 felony.
Illinois law also states that you can be charged with a Class 4 felony for any of the following crimes:
- Possessing a fake driver’s license or ID card that was produced by someone other than a government office;
- Possessing equipment used to reproduce a valid, government-issued driver’s license or ID card; and
- Manufacturing, distributing, selling or advertising a fake ID card or driver’s license.
These Class 4 felony charges can result in one to three years in prison and up to $25,000 in fines. If you are charged with a subsequent offense for any of the above crimes, you will be charged with a Class 3 felony, which is punishable by up to seven years in prison and up to $25,000 in fines.
A Joliet Criminal Defense Attorney Can Help You With Fake ID Charges
If you or your child has been charged with any offense relating to possession, distribution, selling or use of a fake ID or driver’s license, you need help from a Will County criminal defense lawyer right away. At the Law Offices of Jack L. Zaremba, P.C., we can help you figure out your best course of action and guide you along the way. Call our office today at 815-740-4025 to schedule a free consultation.